I'm a New Christian
What should I do?
Congratulations on your new life in Christ! We are happy and rejoice with Heaven for you.
Luke 10:20b ...but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.
Luke 15:7a I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth,...
As you embark on your journey with Christ, there are several things you can do to help you grow right away. There will be challenges, as well as blessings along the way. You have an enemy, Satan and his forces, which will try to discourage and hinder you. But, you can still have the victory because:
1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
As a new Christian, you're are spiritually a new born infant in Christ.
1 Peter 2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
These suggestions will help you grow and mature in Christ much more quickly and
1. Make a public profession of your faith this Sunday in church. Other Christians are now your spiritual brothers and sisters. They will seek to encourage and support you in this new life.
Matthew 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
2. Follow the Lord in baptism. Baptism is not part of salvation, it is an act of obedience to Christ. It is an image of the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ; and our identification with Him. That image, or picture, can only be seen by being immersed and lifted up out of the water.
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
3. Read your Bible daily. It is God's written Word and primary communication to you.
It is God talking to you.
Psalm 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
4. Pray every day. This is just simply you talking to God. Get in the habit of doing it regularly, not just daily.
James 5:16b ...The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
Jeremiah 33:3 Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.
Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
5. Attend a Bible-believing, Bible-preaching church regularly. Get scripturally minded teaching, direction, and fellowship.
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
6. Tell others about what Jesus did for you. Be a witness.
Mark 5:19 Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him, Go home to thy friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.
7. Give to God's work. Someone else gave so you could hear the gospel. God's people support God's work.
2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8. Confess to God when you sin. It will happen. You will stumble sometimes and sin again. When it happens, Pray, confessing it to God, and ask His forgiveness. He will forgive and make it right.
1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
These things will certainly help you get off on the right track, and make you stronger and more mature much sooner. May God richly bless you as you grow in Him.